Awaken


As I write this, I think back to September 11, 2001. I remember exactly where I was that day, and what I was doing on the campus of Mississippi College. I witnessed that morning on TV such evil as I had never before seen in my young life.
9-11-11 WTC Tribute In Light from Jersey City, NJ

Today, our world is not less evil. And the evil in our world is more insidiously imbedded into our American culture than we realize. The enemy is not Islam. The enemy is sin, and this enemy is thriving in our local schools. But I have hope. I am awakened to the knowledge that Jesus has not left our schools, no matter what school administrators can or cannot do. I know this, because I talk to students who are bringing Christ and His love with them to class every day. They are frustrated by the sin they see in their schools, and they are passionate about seeing Christ change their entire school. And I, too, believe that He can do just that!

Paul, who was given a special task to deliver Christ's good news to all non-Jews, wrote a letter to the church in Ephesus, declaring to them that he was praying that God would help them see that His love was broader and longer and higher and deeper than what was first believed, and it included not merely the Jews but also the entire world. This God-breathed passion of Paul's sent him to his knees. We, too, can find ourselves on our knees, begging God to change our schools through an upcoming event called See You At The Pole. Their theme for this year is "Awaken," and they emphasize the passage I just described, Ephesians 3:14-21.


Paul tells the Ephesians he is praying for them, and finishes with the following words:

These words are why I believe that Christ can change our schools and our world. (1)He can do more than our dreams can imagine. In fact, he has done just that time and again! (2)He deserves glory for making available forgiveness and love to every single student, every single day. (3)Also, Christ deserves glory year after year for moving in his people. I attended See You At The Pole as a high school student. Years later, I am encouraging our high school students to do the same!

But for change to occur, a first step is necessary, which is prayer. And See You At The Pole could provide that step. However, it is possible for SYATP to be done in a way that does not take that first step at all.

Last year, I and other youth workers were not satisfied that our students cried out to God for Him to change them and change their schools. I thought instead that most of the schools in our town staged an event with songs and a verse or two and a prayer. But the purpose of this event when it began two decades ago was not to produce an event. It was to PRAY! To cry out that God would save them, and would save their school! I am urging that students not organize a shortened worship service at their flagpoles, but to organize a time to truly pray.

Adults, please pray for the students all over this big, sin-filled world who will be praying at the flagpole of their respective school on Wednesday, September 26, 2012. Pray that God will prick hearts about the enemy of sin, and that His glory will shine in the cries of His people that day!

Thank you for your hopeful prayers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Optimistic Prophecy

It will get worse

A tribute to Liam Isaac Mooneyham (04/08/08 - 06/17/14)